Sunday, 28 May 2017

Good things come to those who wait. . .

Is it worth the wait?

There's no emergency
No sirens in front of me
There's nothing to stop me from getting my way yeah
I'm not going anywhere
If you tell me, I'll stay right here
I'll be in the same place everyday

You can be forgiven for thinking that everything has to be done at such a quick pace, that life will pass you by if you don't move fast enough to match that frenetic pace.  I often think that we compare ourselves so much to others when we see that they're moving and we're not.  People have often commented to me that I have achieved so much in my life, but I don't think about that much.  Granted yes, lots of qualifications and experiences, but to me those are symbols of things that I have collected along the way.  I enjoyed (or at least attempted to), the process of learning during those times and what I learned back then is still valid today but things never remain static.  What same place are you in everyday? 

Heart stays patient
'Cause I know it's worth it

Is my heart really patient though? Is your heart patient?
We will have times in our lives where we grow increasingly aware that if we aren't careful, that our hearts will eventually become patients in hospital, because it's too weak to pump blood around our bodies and this causes fluid to build up in our lungs hampering our ability to breathe deeply and comfortably as we have been accustomed to doing.  Do you know how to adjust your diet and review the medication to ensure that you can manage whatever else life has to throw at you?

That's why I take my time
Take as long as I got
Won't pretend to be somebody I'm not, no
Good things come to those who wait
I'm not perfect, nobody is
Could fill an ocean of blood sweat and tears
Good things come to those who wait

Why do we spend time pretending to be somebody we're not?
We may choose to try and exhibit some obscene levels of perfection that actually detract from the beautiful imperfections that we have, that everybody has, but struggle so hard to conceal.  I just think we need to be persistent and pursue what is most important to us.  Have you tried to rush things and never got far enough ahead, made as much progress as you were expecting?  Maybe slow and steady does win your own individual races that you are running, in whatever contexts that you are running in because when it comes to achieving the good things we want - there is no concept of time.  If it is our destiny to fulfil, it will come to pass.  


To show all my cards to you
But that's what a fool would do
I prefer to stick when the others would twist

You might start to question whether you can trust people around you because they choose not to show all their cards to you.  Maybe they are being guarded because you invoke something in them that requires them to protect themselves.  Maybe you're the one that's refusing to show all your cards, because you are waiting for things to come right somehow, when the dust settles so that you can see whether you are being taken for a fool or not.  Are you prepared to stick to your guns and be who you are, no matter what, when others will change or twist whatever they want to say for their own advantage or personal gain?

'Cause most people would run and fall
They don't even work at all
There's nothing to prove, just to feel you exist

I guess rather than questioning if we can trust others in our lives, focus first on how much you can trust and believe in yourself.  Nobody can make you do things that you don't want to do, as much as you would like to think so. We make choices that either lead to good or bad outcomes.  When do you realise that you no longer need to be defined by these choices anymore?  When do you realise that you no longer need to prove yourself to anyone?  Depending on your level of visibility and your desire to be seen, then you will just be someone that exists.  

That's why I take my time
Take as long as I got
Won't pretend to be somebody I'm not, no
Good things come to those who wait
I'm not perfect, nobody is
Could fill an ocean of blood sweat and tears
Good things come to those who wait

I hope that you take as much time as you need to get things done, to set your priorities straight and consider what needs to get done.  People will always try to get you doing things that they think are important, mostly because you are the reliable one, and that's what you've always done, so surely you must not mind doing it right?  I sometimes think that just because you're good at something, it doesn't mean that you have to do it.  Don't get me wrong - we can celebrate our strengths and keep doing things that soon become effortless and boring if we let it.  But I would much rather take my time and use it to explore all the possibilities of the things that I don't normally think I can do, or that people don't expect you to do.  I've realised that you don't need to be in a rush to get anywhere, but instead, just stay in your lane and be persistent about what drives you to be where you will never think possible.  Keep your eyes on the prize and just be completely in the moment when you emphatically know that good things come to those who wait. . .